Friday, November 19, 2010

The Improbable Dream

After 26 years, a father's wish is fulfilled. If only he knew.

[As published in the Philippine Asian Chronicle in British Columbia, Canada, October 15-30, 2010 issue]

Publishers note:
Sir Leo Valdes submitted this article in September of this year. Last month, his father passed away. I thought it fitting to publish it this month as the whole Christian world remembers loved ones who have gone to a better world. We always remember happy times and the worth of a person after he is gone. This article is a reminder for all of us to value and honour our loved ones while they are still with us. The Philippine Asian Chronicle family extend deep sympathy and condolences to the whole Valdes family.

- Roque "Bodeng" Juatco

In 1984, our family of nine siblings started to break up. There was no family squabble. The breakup was economic and political. Ninoy Aquinoy Jr. was assassinated a year earlier, and the future looked bleak under a Marcos regime.

My two elder brothers were the first to leave for the USA. Then, I took on an assignment in Austria. That Christmas, the remaining members of our family wrote letters and performed Christmas carols that they recorded on cassette tape.

Each cassette tape had a message from our parents. Mine was slightly different. In it, my father, who is terrible at showing emotion, choked as he told me how he felt. He said that this was the first time our family was not complete at Christmas.

With that message, it became my father's dream that somehow, sometime in the future, we would all be together again.

We almost made a full reunion happen in 1993, and again in 2003. But we were always missing some siblings.

Five years ago, my elder brother passed away suddenly. It was as if all hopes were dashed. The dream would never be fulfilled now, I thought. Deterioration set in. My father had Alzheimer's disease, and my mother had Parkinson's disease.

Last August 22, without trying, we achieved the improbable. All surviving siblings got together for my mother's 80th birthday. It was so overwhelming, that even I choked announcing it, "After 26 years, we are all here, together."

Back from the celebration, we reported to our dad. He was still in bed, just like he has been for the past three years. He has not spoken a word in over a year. He is awake only ten minutes each day.

We woke him up. "Hey, Papa. Guess what?" we said, "we're all here! All of us are here!"

No reaction. I only pray that he heard us.

-----

Back in Vancouver, I was in a meeting talking about our Filipino community. Someone suggested that we have as many organizations meet together to start the 2011 multi-city Independence Day celebrations from a single point.

Someone smirked, "Like that's going to happen!"

And I replied, we can dream.

I've seen organizations and individuals in Vienna that could never be seen in the same venue due to irreconcilable differences. And then I saw them get together for earthquake relief. The same is true in Vancouver for the Typhoon Ondoy effort.

I could never have imagined that disparate organizations would be seen in the same street parade at Unang Hirit sa Taginit.

I also never imagined in 26 years that our family would be complete again.

Can you imagine therefore, that somehow, sometime in the future, the whole Philippine community in Vancouver could be one in a single joyous occasion?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home